Four Plaques
Tehachapi Loop, California

California Historical Landmark
Tehachapi Loop

From this spot may be seen a portion of the world-renowned "Loop." It was completed in 1876 under the direction of William Hood, Southern Pacific Railroad Engineer. In gaining elevation around central hill of loop a 4000-foot train will cross 77 feet above its rear cars in tunnel below.

October 25, 1953
Marker Placed by
Kern County Historical Society
Bakersfield Parlor No. 42 N.S.G.W.
El Tejon Parlor No. 239 N.D.G.W
Kern County Museum
Southern Pacific Railroad
State Registered Landmark no. 508

The cross at the Loop in memory of conductor Everett S. Crown and brakeman Allan R. Riess who lost their lives in a tragic train wreck in San Bernardino, Calif. May 12, 1989

Erected by Employees and S.P.T.C.O.

The great flood of 1932 and Engine No. 3834

On September 30th torrential rains flooded Tehachapi Creek, undermining the tracks under Santa Fe engine No. 3834 which was waiting out the storm about ½ mile east of Woodford station. The engine disappeared into the raging water below. It remained 'Lost' for two weeks. Hidden under 10 feet of mud. It took one month to free the severely damaged engine. Its bell never was found. Almost three years after the flood the newly refurbished engine was returned to service with people lining the tracks in Tehachapi and Keene, waving and cheering as No. 3834 rolled by - its new bell proudly ringing.

Plaque dedicated April 25, 1993 Platrix Chapter No. 2 & Peter Lebeck Chapter No. 1866,
E Clampus Vitus

National Historic Civil
Engineering Landmark
Tehachapi Pass Railroad Line
Constructed 1874-1876  Commemorated October 1998

In front of you is the world famous Tehachapi Loop which is about half way upgrade to the Tehachapi Pass. This steep line averages 2.2% in gradient in its 28 miles of length. This feat of civil engineering genius was the crowning achievement of civil engineer William Hood of the Southern Pacific Railway Company. It is one of the seven wonders of the railroad world.

The Tehachapi Pass Railroad Line was cut through solid and decomposed granite by up to 3000 Chinese laborers from Canton China. They used picks, shovels, horse drawn carts and blasting powder. This line, which climbs out of the San Joaquin Valley and through the Tehachapi Mountains had 18 tunnels, 10 bridges and numerous water towers for the old steam locomotives. It was completed in less than 2 years time under the leadership of civil engineer J. B. Harris\, chief of construction, a remarkable feat.

This line was part of the last and final line of the first railroad line connecting San Francisco to Los Angeles. It was the primary factor in the early growth of the City of Los Angeles and the State of California.

This single track line, essentially unchanged, is still in constant use today, 122 years after its completion. It passes an average of 36 freight trains each day. This attests to the superior job of both engineering and construction done by the two civil engineers and the Chinese laborers. This plaque is dedicated to them

History & Heritage Committee
Los Angeles Section and Southern San Joaquin Branch
American Society of Civil Engineers