With the receipt of a telegram early Friday morning, apprising A. H. Babcock and Mrs. Myra Gowen of the sudden death of heir brother, George I. Babcock, their pleasant expectation of an early visit from him, was sadly shattered. Mr. Babcock's death, presumably from heart failure, occurred in Fayette, Ohio as he and Mrs. Babcock were enroute to North Loup to spend some time with relatives here. Mrs. Babcock was among total strangers at the time. The telegram announced that she was returning to their home in New Jersey with the body. Thus far no letter has been received announcing the details. A motherless babe, one year and a half of age, George was brought to North Loup- from Wisconsin by his father, Elder Oscar Babcock, who arrived with his family of small children in 1872. George spent his boyhood here and was the first North Loup high school graduate, finishing the course alone, in 1888 under the superintendency of M. B. C. True, father of Jessie True Babcock. After his graduation he attended the Nebraska State University where he received his B.A. and law degrees. His long service in Y.M.C.A. work is well known to North Loup friends, and only recently had the age limit retired him from the work he loved so well and to which he had devoted practically his whole life. He held the position of Secretary of Latin America Y.M.C.A. and Comptroller of Budgets of the Foreign Departments, and served under John R. Mott as his confidential secretary. For some time relatives here had been planning on the visit of Mr. and Mrs. Babcock who were expected to arrive at an early date. Sympathy is extended to them in their bereavement. The following sketch of Mr. Babcock is clipped from the Lincoln State Journal "George I. Babcock, retired secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association, who has resided for many years in Montclair, N. J. died suddenly of heart failure at the age of 63, May 10, while enroute by automobile to visit his old home and friends in Nebraska. Accompanied by Mrs. Babcock, he started on the trip apparently in good health, but died suddenly at Fayette, O. Mr. Babcock is survived by his wife, the former Cora Chaffee, daughter, Mrs. John Clarke Barber, of Mount Vernon, N. Y. and son, Richard C. Babcock of Chattanooga, Tenn.

"Mr. Babcock was a native of Wisconsin, receiving his B. A. degree from Nebraska University in 1894 and his law degree in 1897. He had experience in the law, in education, and in the Y.M.C.A. in Nebraska.

"Early in 1902 Mr. Babcock sailed as the pioneer secretary of Mexico, organizing the association in Mexico City. This won such generous support from government officials, business men, and missionaries that, despite the unpopularity of foreign institutions in that country, a second branch was opened in 1904. On his return to the United States in 1915 Mr. Babcock became secretary of the international committee, which has responsibility for work in more than thirty countries. Four years ago he became secretary in Porto (sic) Rico, and retired in 1932 at the age of 60.

"Mr. Babcock was a member of the Panama congress on Christian work in Latin America in 1916, and the following year confidential secretary, to Dr. John R. Mott when the latter was appointed by President Wilson to the joint Mexican - American commission, In 1915 he made a tour of South America, where he visited all association centers. He was a recognized authority on Latin-American problems

"Interment was made privately Monday at Mount Hebron cemetery in Montclair."